Archive for April, 2017

Donald Trump changes yardstick in claim about southern border apprehensions – PolitiFact

A Border Patrol agent at the fence along the border between the United States and Mexico on the outskirts of Nogales, Ariz., on Sept. 22, 2016. (Tomas Munita/New York Times)

President Donald Trump says the country is continuing to make "historic progress" to curb the flow of illegal immigration along thesouthern border.

"We inherited a full-fledged border crisis. It was a disaster," Trump said in his weekly radio address April 7. "Yet, with quick and bold steps, we have so far exceeded even the most bullish predictions for the progress we could make in so short a period of time. Last month, we saw a 64 percent reduction in illegal immigration on our southern border."

Itwasnt the first time Trump claimed he inherited a mess, or that hes turned things around at the border. Hes recently emphasized statistics to show decreases in illegal immigration. In March, he said illegal immigration wasdown 61 percent since Election Day (Mostly True) and down 40 percent since his first month in office (Mostly True).

Is Trumps story getting even better?

What we found is that Trump is changing how he's doing the counting in a way that emphasizes progress.

The 64 percent reduction

To get to the 64 percent reduction, Trump isnt looking at the decrease from February 2017 to March 2017, as he did when he talked about the decrease between January and February.

Instead, hes looking at the year-over-year reduction (March 2016 vs. March 2017), the White House told us.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection data show that in March 2017 border patrol made 12,193 apprehensions at the southwest border. In March 2016, there were33,316 apprehensions. Thats a 63.4 percent decrease year-over-year. Add in people who were deemed inadmissable to the country and you reach 64 percent.

But if you looked at the decrease from February 2017 to March 2017, as Trump did last month, the drop would not have been as dramatic.

From February 2017 to March 2017, border patrol apprehensions dropped about 35 percent, not 64 percent.

Point being, Trump picked the number that showed the biggest decrease, when last month he calculated the figure a different way. Importantly, alistener to Trump's weekly radio address would have no way of knowing Trump changed his measuring stick.

Aside from the specific numbers, Trumps rhetoric and tough immigration stance can be credited for the decreases, experts have told us. But they caution against making early conclusions about the effect Trumps policies have had.Changes on the ground usually take longer to materialize, experts said.

Oh, Canada?

While data backs Trumps claim of decreases at the U.S.-Mexico border, the northern border has actually seen an increasein illegal immigration.

"As we increasingly secure the southern border, won't that put more pressure on the northern border and other ports of entry?" Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., asked John Kelly, Department of Homeland Security secretary, during an April 5 Senate committee hearing on border security and public safety.

Kelly said security concerns were not at the same level in the northern border as they are in the southern border. But that sector also needs attention, he said.

"We obviously need to watch it, one of the things the Canadians recently did was to allow ... Mexicans to travel to Canada without visas and we're seeing a little bit of increase in Mexicans coming illegally into the United States from the north," Kelly said.

(SinceDec. 1, 2016Mexicans do not need a visa to visit Canada.)

In all fiscal year 2016, there were 2,283 border patrol apprehensions at the northern border, compared to 408,870 at the southern border.

Our ruling

Trump said, "Last month, we saw a 64 percent reduction in illegal immigration on our southern border."

It depends on how you define last month.

The White House said Trump was speaking about year-over-year changes, from March 2016 to March 2017. Border patrol apprehensions declined 63.4 percent during that time.

But if you looked at the decrease from February 2017 to March 2017, as Trump did just a month earlier, the decrease was about 35 percent.

That difference would be lost on a listener. We rate Trumps statement Half True.

Share the Facts

3

7

Half True

"Last month, we saw a 64 percent reduction in illegal immigration on our southern border."

Donald Trump

President of the United States

in weekly address

Friday, April 7, 2017

04/07/2017

Original post:
Donald Trump changes yardstick in claim about southern border apprehensions - PolitiFact

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is Donald Trump’s VP pick

Trump has picked Mike Pence, current Indiana governor, as his selection for vice president. A press conference will be held tomorrow to formally announce the decision. USA TODAY, Collin Brennan

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence joins Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump at a rally in Westfield, Ind., July 12, 2016.(Photo: AP)

Update, 11 a.m Friday: Donald Trump acknowledged via Twitter on Friday what the IndyStar confirmed Thursday: Indiana Gov. Mike Pence will be his running mate.

Earlier story:

Gov. Mike Pence is dropping his re-election bid in Indiana to become Donald Trumps running mate.

IndyStar confirmed shortly after noon ThursdaythatTrump is planning to announce Pence as hisselection for vice president. Several national news outlets, including CNN and ABC News,laterreported Trump had offered the post to Pence and he had accepted,ending a weekslongcasting call during which Trump vetted a handful of high-profile Republicans.

Trump had beenscheduledtoformallyannounce his pick at a news conferencein Manhattan at 11 a.m. Friday, but delayed the event in the wake of an attack in Nice, France, that leftmore than 70 people dead.

The delay could leavePence, who had already traveled to New York, in political limbo. Hefaces a noon Friday deadline to withdraw from the governor's race to allowIndiana Republican leaders to select a replacement candidate.

The developments capped another wild day in the vice presidential search, with Trump's campaign team insisting throughout the day that no decision had been made, even as Pence was beingwhisked toward Manhattan in a motorcade after flying on a private plane from Indianapolis toTeterboro, N.J.

In a Thursday evening interview with Fox News, Trump said he still hadn't made a "final, final" decision.It wasn't clear if those comments were meanttomaintain a sense of surprise for the plannedannouncement, but Republican strategists, including a former Trump adviser, have repeatedly emphasized Trump's unpredictability and noted anything is possible.

Trump's long-awaited decision upends the political landscape in Indiana and at least partially remakes the Trump campaign.

INDIANAPOLIS STAR

Trump's VP? 10 things to know about Indiana Gov. Mike Pence

In Pence, Trump addsa social conservative whom GOP strategists say will reassure rank-and-file Republicans that Trump can be trusted to pursue their interests. Veteran political observers say Pence, a former U.S. House member and chairman of the House Republican Conference, will provide a disciplined counter to Trumps improvisational campaign style. Pence also brings fundraising power and credibility on a wide range of policy issues that are important to conservatives.

Pence wouldofficially become the vice presidential nominee during the Republican National Convention, which starts July 18 in Cleveland. He could become the first vice president from Indiana since Dan Quayle took office in 1989 under George H.W. Bush.

Pences departure for national politics sets up a scramble among Indiana Republicans to determine who will replace Pence to run against Democratic challenger John Gregg in the November gubernatorial election.

For the first time in state history, the Indiana Republican State Committee will determine the GOP candidate for governor in a process that could last into August. The 22-member panel has 30 days to choose Pences replacement on the ballot.Once its clear who will be vying for the Republican nomination, the committee must provide a 10-day notice before it votes. That means, at the earliest, the process will conclude in late July.

Lt. Gov. Eric Holcomb, who has not yet publicly said he will seek the office, is thought to be a front-runner. U.S. Rep. Susan Brooks of Carmel plans to withdraw from her congressional race and run for governor,said Murray Clark,a former state Republican Party chairman and a partner at the law firmFaegre Baker Daniels.U.S. Rep. Todd Rokita has said he plans to run.

First, though, Pence must file paperwork to withdraw his name from the ballot. While the deadline to dothat is noon Friday,Pence could withdraw, then ask the state's GOP central committee to renominate him if he doesn't get the vice presidential nomination.

Pence's elevation in the political world comes as he faced a tight race in Indiana.The most recent publicpoll, which was conducted in May, showed Pence leading Gregg 40 percent to 36 percent, a virtual tie when factoring in the 4 percent margin of error. Pence defeated Gregg in the 2012 race by 3 percentage points.

Pence, a vocal Trump supporter since he clinched the Republican nomination, will turn his attention toward helping the real estate mogul defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton in November. Even without Pence, Trump has been closing the gap.A national CBS News/New York Times pollreleased this week showsClinton and Trump tied at 40 percentjust one month after Clinton had a 6 percentage point lead. Yet, projections based on state pollssuggest Clinton has anadvantage, albeit a diminishing one.

Trump appearedto have winnowed the field of potential running matesfrom about 10 people last week in a fashion that some have compared to a reality-TV show, complete with auditionlike campaign appearances.Aside from Pence, the other favorites were former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

Pence essentially tried outfor the position during a Trump rally in Westfieldand a fundraiser in Indianapolison Tuesday. Pence, who has traditionally eschewed negative campaigning, used the rally to attackClinton for the loss of U.S. personnel in Benghazi, Libya, and compareTrump to Ronald Reagan.

INDIANAPOLIS STAR

3 times Gov. Mike Pence distanced himself from Donald Trump

Speculation that Trump would pick Pence intensified afterTrump and his family unexpectedlydined with Pence and his wife at a swanky Downtown restaurant Tuesday night, then had breakfast at the governor's residence the next morning.

Call IndyStar reporter Tony Cook at (317) 444-6081. Follow him on Twitter:@indystartony.

Call IndyStar reporter James Briggs at (317) 444-6307. Follow him on Twitter: @JamesEBriggs.

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

INDIANAPOLIS STAR

Strong faith shapes Mike Pence's politics

Read or Share this story: http://indy.st/29SGzov

Excerpt from:
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is Donald Trump's VP pick

Some Notre Dame Students ‘Feel Unsafe’ With Pence as Commencement Speaker – Fox News Insider

Vice President Mike Pences scheduled commencement speech at the University of Notre Dame has prompted a protest by senior students who say that Pence's presence on campus will make them "feel unsafe."

Students Immane Mondane and Jourdyhn Williams have started a #NotMyCommencementSpeaker campaign against Pence's May 21 address.

The campaign consists of students holding white boards featuring quotes from Pence that are "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, offensive, or ostracizing" to members of the Notre Dame community.

For me personally, [Pence] represents the larger Trump administration, Mondane told the university's newspaper. His administration represents something, and for many people on our campus, it makes them feel unsafe to have someone who openly is offensive but also demeaning of their humanity and of their life and of their identity.

Williams argued that the selection of Pence as the universitys commencement speaker goes against the schools Catholic mission.

I feel that is offensive to such a large population here at Notre Dame, and I also believe it goes against certain Catholic Social Teaching, which is something the University likes to broadcast that it stands behind, but it picks and chooses when it wants to stand behind them, Williams said.

In addition to the #NotMyCommencementSpeaker campaign, a number of student groups have spoken out against the invitation of Pence, including the Diversity Council and the College Democrats, according to Campus Reform.

Watch the "Fox & Friends" report above.

Trump Would Have 'Psychological Success' If House Passes Health Care Soon

Trump Jr. Decides Against Running for NY Governor... For Now

Reporter to Mattis: Why Would U.S. Strike Syria for Chemical Attack, but Not Barrel Bombs?

See original here:
Some Notre Dame Students 'Feel Unsafe' With Pence as Commencement Speaker - Fox News Insider

Mike Pence Makes Some Students Feel ‘Unsafe’ At Notre Dame – Daily Caller

5587094

Vice President Mike Pence is scheduled to deliver the commencement address at the University of Notre Dame.

But thats not sitting well with some of the students, Campus Reform reports.

Students ImmaneMondane and Jourdyhn Williams are agitating to cancel that invitation with a #NotMyCommencementSpeaker hashtag that will feature students holding white boards with direct quotes from Pence that are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, offensive, or ostracizing to members of our community.

Campus Reform reports that the students add, You may also write about why you feel unsafe with the presence of Mike Pence on our campus.

With all the white boards collected, the organizers plan to share them on social media and start a discussion about Pences invitation.

For me personally, [Pence] represents the larger Trump administration, Mondane said. His administration represents something, and for many people on our campus, it makes them feel unsafe to have someone who openly is offensive but also demeaning of their humanity and of their life and of their identity.

So just what make a students feel unsafe with Pence being on campus? One whiteboard reveals the awful truth, quoting the vice president as supporting traditional marriage, Congress should oppose any effort to put gay and lesbian relationships on an equal status with heterosexual marriage.

The organizer say they hope their initiative will start a campaign that will go beyond the white, conservative Catholic Norte Dame university that they attend.

I feel that is offensive to such a large population here at Notre Dame, and I also believe it goes against certain Catholic Social Teaching, which is something the University likes to broadcast that it stands behind, but it picks and chooses when it wants to stand behind them, Williams stated.

The anti-Pence campaign is just another insult to the Trump administration. The legendary Catholic university has historically invited the president of the United States in his first term of office. This year, apparently fearing student protest, the university invited Pence instead.

But the universitys efforts to pre-empt protest have proved unsuccessful. Besides the social media demonstration, other student groups are opposing the Pence invitation, including the Diversity Council and the College Democrats.

Follow David on Twitter

Read the original post:
Mike Pence Makes Some Students Feel 'Unsafe' At Notre Dame - Daily Caller

Sanibel residents meet Vice President Mike Pence – Fox 4 Now … – Fox 4

SANIBEL ISLAND, Fla-- Vice President Mike Pence and his wife are enjoying a week-long vacation on Sanibel Island. Pence first arrived over the weekend but he briefly left for DC on Monday to watch Neil Gorsuch be sworn into the Supreme Court.

On Sunday night, the couple was seen eating at The Timber. The owner, Matt Asen said Pence has been stopping in his restaurant for years.

Bob Averill and Georgina Emery were dining at the restaurant when the Pence's showed up. I got frisked a couple of times. They took my Swiss Army knife, which I always carry with me. It was no big deal. I had to run back down to the car a couple times, said Averill.

That's when Averill decided to use the experience as an opportunity. I ran down to my car and got our little flier for the secret service gentlemen to give him, said Averill.

Averill and Emery own Islander Trading Post, an antique shop just a few blocks from where the Pence's are staying. The couple said giving him a private tour would be a dream come true.

They aren't the only ones hoping to meet the Vice President. Id shake his hand and tell him keep up the good work, said a visitor.

Vacationers said word has spread that Pence is in town. Secret Service has blocked off the street where the family is staying. Coast Guard is keeping watch from the water. Other than a church service and a dinner on Sunday night, visitors and residents said they haven't seen much of him or his wife.

Air restrictions are in place until the 16th. However, several reports have him leaving Saturday to head overseas for work.

Read the original:
Sanibel residents meet Vice President Mike Pence - Fox 4 Now ... - Fox 4