Archive for April, 2017

Barcelona must improve or comeback will be ‘impossible’ – Iniesta – Goal.com

The Barca captain is worried another Champions League comeback this time against Juventus could be beyond the Catalans

Andres Iniesta admits it will be "impossible" for Barcelona to overturn their Champions League deficit to Juventus unless they show substantial improvement in the second leg.

Battered Barca need another miracle

The Spanish champions were beaten 3-0 in Turin by Massimiliano Allegri's side, with Paulo Dybala scoring twice before Giorgio Chiellini's second-half header.

Barca enjoyed more of the possession but struggled to place Gianluigi Buffon's goal under any real threat as they slumped to a second significant away defeat in a row in the competition.

Although they made history by overturning a 4-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the last round with a 6-1 second-leg victory, Iniesta says any similar comeback will be beyond them if they do not sharpen up at Camp Nou.

"We did some bad things, mainly in the first half," he told TV3. "The Champions League punishes you with these two goals.

"In the second half we saw something different. We deserved to score one goal but that doesn't help now.

"Juve are a good team but when you don't do things well, you are penalised a lot.

"The feeling is not as pessimistic as it was in Paris but once again we have a real uphill task in a knockout game.

"If we do things as we have to, we'll be back in the tie. If not, it will be impossible."

Go here to see the original:
Barcelona must improve or comeback will be 'impossible' - Iniesta - Goal.com

Barcelona must improve or comeback will be impossible – Iniesta – beIN SPORTS

April 11, 2017 23:17

Andres Iniesta admits it will be "impossible" for Barcelona to overturn their Champions League deficit to Juventus unless they show genuine improvement in the second leg.

The Spanish champions were beaten 3-0 in Turin by Massimiliano Allegri's side, with Paulo Dybala scoring twice before Giorgio Chiellini's second-half header.

Barca enjoyed more of the possession but struggled to place Gianluigi Buffon's goal under any real threat as they slumped to a second significant away defeat in a row in the competition.

Although they made history by overturning a 4-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the last round with a 6-1 second-leg victory, Iniesta says any similar comeback will be beyond them if they do not sharpen up at Camp Nou.

"We did some bad things, mainly in the first half," he told TV3. "The Champions League punishes you with these two goals.

"In the second half we saw something different. We deserved to score one goal but that doesn't help now.

"Juve are a good team but when you don't do things well, you are penalised a lot.

"The feeling is not as pessimistic as it was in Paris but once again we have a real uphill task in a knockout game.

"If we do things as we have to, we'll be back in the tie. If not, it will be impossible."

See the rest here:
Barcelona must improve or comeback will be impossible - Iniesta - beIN SPORTS

In explaining his reasons for the Syria strike, Trump focuses on Obama – Washington Post

In an interview on the Fox Business Network, President Trump called Syrian President Bashar al-Assad an "animal" and blasted Russia for its support of Assad. Trump was also combative on the subject of North Korea. (Reuters)

InPresident Trump'sfirst major interview sinceorderinga military strike ona Syrian airfield late last week, heprovided additional insight into his reasoning and much of it had to do with his predecessor, whose Syria strategy he once endorsed.

What I did should have been done by the Obama administration a long time before I did it, and you would have had a much better I think Syria would be a lot better off right now than it has been, Trump saidduring an interview with Fox Business Network'sMaria Bartiromo that aired Wednesday morning. He didn't do it. I don't know what happened, but he didn't do it.... Even the Obama people admitted he was wrong for not doing it.

[How Trump is rolling back Obama's legacy]

Soon after the strike, Trump delivered a statement Thursday night from his private club in Palm Beach, Fla., saying that he was moved to act after reports that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad usedchemical weapons to kill helpless men, women and children,including beautiful babies. After delivering those scripted remarks, the president retreated from public discussion of the attack, while his aides tried to explain how this strike fits with Trump's America First doctrine and campaign pledge not to get involved with conflicts in other countries.

In June 2013, in the wake of a deadly chemical weapons attack in the Damascus suburbs, Trump repeatedly praised President Barack Obama for not taking military action. In a tweet on June 15, 2013, Trump wrote: We should stay the hell out of Syria, the 'rebels' are just as bad as the current regime. WHAT WILL WE GET FOR OUR LIVES AND $ BILLIONS? ZERO. Later that summer, Trump repeatedly said Obama should seek congressional approval before taking action. In September 2013, Trump tweeted: The only reason President Obama wants to attack Syria is to save face over his very dumb RED LINE statement. Do NOT attack Syria, fix U.S.A. On the campaign trail, Trump continued to oppose any involvement in Syria and accused Democrat Hillary Clinton and some of his Republican opponents of wanting to start World War III.

In the Fox Business interview, Trump promised that we're not going into Syria, but he also made clear that he's willing to take action when fellow world leaders use horrible, horrible chemical weapons. Trump expressed alarm at the Syrian regime's use of barrel bombs, oil drumspacked with explosives and nails or other shrapnel that are rolled out of helicopters. These crude, imprecise munitions are dropped on Syria nearly daily and have killed thousands of people, according to activists tracking the deaths.

[Spicer adds barrel bombs to the list of reasons the U.S. could again attack Syria]

That's the worst thing I've never seen anything like it, Trump said. They have these massive barrels with dynamite, and they drop them right in the middle of a group of people.... You see the same kids no arms, no legs, no face.

Trump called Assad an animal and truly an evil person and said it is now up to Russian President Vladimir Putin to withdraw his support of the Syrian regime.

I really think that there's going to be a lot of pressure on Russia to make sure that peace happens, because, frankly, if Russia didn't go in and back this animal, you wouldn't have a problem right now, Trump said. "[Assad]was going to be overthrown.... And then Russia came in and saved him. And then Obama made one of the worst deals in history with the Iran deal. So you really have Iran, and you have Russia, and you have Assad.

[Russia accuses U.S. of unlawful Syria raid as Tillerson visits Moscow]

Trump said that he closely followed coverage of the recent chemical attack in Syria and was horrified by images and footage of childrenand babies who were killed by the suspected nerve agent.

I immediately called General Mattis. I said, 'What can we do?' " Trump said, referring to Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis. And they came back with a number of different alternatives, and we hit them very hard. Now, are we going to get involved with Syria? No, but if I see them using gas and using things that I mean, even some of the worst tyrants in the world didn't use the kindof gases that they used.

[Chinese President Xi calls Trump and urges peaceful approach to North Korea]

Trump's criticism of Obama extended to other issues. Heaccused the former president of encouraging intelligence agencies to share damaging information about Trump and those close to him, along with reiterating his unfounded claim that Obama improperly surveilled me and so many other people. Trump mocked Obamafor publicly discussing his military strategy, saying that, in contrast, he would keep his plans a secret.

I don't want to talk about it, Trump said when asked about the threat of North Korea and its leader, Kim Jong Un. We are sending an armada, very powerful. We have submarines, very powerful, far more powerful than the aircraft carrier, that I can tell you, Trump said. And we have the best military people on earth. And I will say this: He is doing the wrong thing. He is doing the wrong thing.

Trump also told the story with a bit of delight of how he informed Chinese PresidentXi Jinping of the Syrian strike. Xi visited the United States last week and was at Mar-a-Lago with the president when the strike occurred.

[Trump promised an unpredictable foreign policy. To allies, it looks incoherent.]

Trump said that he and Xi had just finished dinner and were eating dessert the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you've ever seen, Trump said and he received a message that the ships carrying the missiles were locked and loaded. Trump ordered the strike, then turned to Xi to explain what was happening.

I said, 'Mr. President, let me explain something to you' this was during dessert 'we've just fired 59 missiles' all of which hit, by the way, unbelievable, from, you know, hundreds of miles away, all of which hit, amazing, Trump said, breaking into the dialogue of his own story with an aside that ended with accusing Obama of depleting the military.

Trump returned to telling his story.

So what happens is, I said, 'We've just launched 59 missiles heading to Iraq, and I wanted you to know this,' " Trump said, accidentally saying Iraq instead of Syria. And he was eating his cake. And he was silent.

Trump said Xi paused for 10 seconds, then asked an interpreter to repeat what Trump had said.

He said to me, 'Anybody that uses gases' you could almost say 'or anything else' 'but anybody that was so brutal and uses gases to do that to young children and babies, it's okay,' " said Trump, who has been known to misquote people in recounting conversations. He was okay with it. He was okay.

More here:
In explaining his reasons for the Syria strike, Trump focuses on Obama - Washington Post

Betsy DeVos reverses Obama-era directives aimed at protecting student loan borrowers – MarketWatch

A directive just issued by Betsy DeVos is raising alarm among student loan borrower advocates.

In a memo sent Tuesday to James Runcie, the chief operating officer of Federal Student Aid (FSA), DeVos rescinded Obama-era directives aimed at holding student loan servicers the companies hired by the government to manage the repayment process accountable for working in borrowers best interests.

In the memo, DeVos withdrew guidance sent by former Secretary of Education John King to Runcie, instructing him to consider a servicers past performance when deciding whether to award the company a new contract. DeVoss memo also withdraws a directive sent by former undersecretary of education Ted Mitchell instructing Runcie to hold servicers accountable for meeting basic customer service standards, like responding quickly to borrowers, and reward those companies that do the best at ensuring borrowers are on track toward repaying their loans.

Undoing these memos is a very concerning indication of how much (Department of Education officials) value protecting borrowers versus how much they want to insulate servicers, said Alexis Goldstein, a senior policy analyst at Americans for Financial Reform. Is this meant to be a message that says we are less concerned with borrowers and more concerned with protecting servicers even if they made mistakes in the past?

The memo comes as higher education leaders and borrower advocates are watching closely to see how the Trump administration treats student loan borrowers. Last month they expressed concern after the Department of Education reversed an Obama-era directive preventing student loan debt collectors from charging high fees to defaulted borrowers who make an effort quickly to become current on their debts.

The exact implications of DeVoss new guidelines remain unclear. The Department didnt immediately respond to a request for comment. The agency is currently in the midst of awarding a new lucrative servicing contract to a single entity. Two public companies, Navient and Nelnet, are finalists for the new award. But its hard to say whether that contract process will continue, given DeVoss new memo, or whether the Department will begin again with an entirely new contract process. No matter how the process evolves from here, borrower advocates and investors will be watching closely to see which companies are rewarded with contracts.

The market will be looking carefully at whether they will start the process from scratch, said Rohit Chopra, a senior fellow at the Consumer Federation of America and the former student loan ombudsman at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Right now there are big companies with a lot of revenue on the line and theyll be pushing hard to keep taxpayers funds flowing into them.

The Obama-era directives rescinded by DeVos came after years of borrower advocates expressing concern that student loan servicers werent working in borrowers best interest, making it more difficult for them to repay their loans. The government offers a slew of repayment programs federal student loan borrowers can use to pay off their debt according to their income and avoid default.

But reports from the Government Accountability Office, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau as well as probes and lawsuits from the CFPB and state law-enforcement officials indicate that some servicers dont do a good enough job of helping borrowers enroll in these programs and instead steer them toward repayment plans that may make it harder for them to pay off their debts.

More than 1 million borrowers defaulted on the federal student loans last year and in many cases those defaults a credit ruining event could have been avoided if borrowers were enrolled in one of these repayment programs.

Borrower advocates worry that DeVoss memo will make it easier for servicers who dont work in borrowers best interests to continue to do so and still win lucrative government contracts.

Theres a lot of problems out there and these basic common sense protections are incredibly necessary, said Persis Yu, the director of the Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project at the National Consumer Law Center. Its somewhat baffling to see them being rolled back at this point.

Excerpt from:
Betsy DeVos reverses Obama-era directives aimed at protecting student loan borrowers - MarketWatch

Obama expected at Protestant event in Berlin next month – The Boston Globe

US President Barack Obama waved next to German Chancellor Angela Merkel after his speech in front of Berlin's landmark the Brandenburg Gate, in Berlin.

BERLIN (AP) Former U.S. President Barack Obama will take part in a discussion event with Chancellor Angela Merkel at a Protestant conference in Berlin next month as Germany marks the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, organizers said Tuesday.

The May 25 event will take place in front of Berlins landmark Brandenburg Gate, where Obama delivered a speech as president in 2013, Germanys Lutheran church and organizers of the German Protestant Kirchentag conference said.

Advertisement

The discussion is being organized jointly by the conference, which is held every two years, and the Obama Foundation.

Obama spokesman Eric Schultz confirmed the former presidents plans to join Merkel for a moderated conversation on the importance of democracy and taking on responsibility locally and globally.

Get Political Happy Hour in your inbox:

Your afternoon shot of politics, sent straight from the desk of Joshua Miller.

Heinrich Bedford-Strohm, Germanys top Lutheran bishop, said Obamas participation underlines how internationally we are celebrating 500 years of the Reformation. Bedford-Strohm invited Obama last May to visit Germany for the anniversary.

Martin Luthers revolt against Catholic Church practices started in Germany in 1517.

Obama was in Berlin in mid-November on his last European trip as president.

Advertisement

Schultz said that additional details about Obamas visit to Europe will be relayed in the coming weeks.

His successor, Donald Trump, is expected to visit Germany for the first time as president when Merkel hosts the Group of 20 summit in Hamburg in July.

Read more from the original source:
Obama expected at Protestant event in Berlin next month - The Boston Globe