Media Search:



Ontario pledges $1-billion for Ring of Fire

Ontarios governing Liberals say theyre willing to put up $1-billion to develop an all-season transportation corridor to the Ring of Fire if the federal Conservatives match the funds.

Ottawa must help bear the cost of building the infrastructure thats needed to develop the mineral-rich region, create jobs and boost northern Ontarios hard-hit economy, they said Monday.

We are coming to the table with our best offer and we need the prime minister and his team to join us there, said Michael Gravelle, Ontarios minister of northern development and mines.

The province has maintained that the Harper Conservatives should be actively involved in the Ring of Fires development as they have for other projects, such as the Alberta oilsands.

The Ontario Chamber of Commerce has estimated that the project could generate $9.4-billion in new economic activity over the next decade and support 5,500 jobs a year.

It said it would also provide the federal, Ontario and municipal governments with almost $2-billion in revenue over that period and $6.7-billion over 32 years.

But the lack of a transportation route has been a major barrier to developing the Ring of Fire about 500 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay, Ont. which is believed to contain one of the largest chromite deposits in the world.

The project suffered a major setback last November, when a big mining company that was going to pour $3-billion into the Ring of Fire suddenly pulled out.

Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. suspended its operations indefinitely, saying it couldnt keep spending money while the question of whether it would be able to build an all-weather road to the remote site remained in doubt.

Noront Resources Ltd., which wants to develop its Eagles Nest and Blackbird mining projects, said the provinces commitment is a vital milestone that will benefit remote First Nations communities.

See the rest here:
Ontario pledges $1-billion for Ring of Fire

Liberals demand feds call on Auditor General to probe foreign workers program

Andrea Janus, CTVNews.ca Published Monday, April 28, 2014 3:58PM EDT Last Updated Monday, April 28, 2014 7:23PM EDT

The auditor general should be called in to probe the Temporary Foreign Workers Program, the Liberals said Monday, days after the Conservative government suspended the food-service sector from the program over reports of abuse.

Employment Minister Jason Kenney announced last Thursday that the restaurant industry will be unable to access the program pending an investigation by his department.

The issue came up quickly during question period in the House of Commons on Monday as MPs returned to work after a two-week Easter break.

Liberal MP Ralph Goodale said problems with the program extend beyond the food-service sector, and asked the government to go beyond an internal investigation by calling in the auditor general.

We know there are problems, as well, in banking and mining and other industries, too, Goodale said.

Over a year ago Liberals warned about this. To save the program, we asked for full review to get rid of the abuses. The government voted no and the trouble got worse. The department cannot investigate itself. Isnt it time for the auditor general to get on this file?

Kenney replied that the auditor general is free to investigate whatever he deems appropriate without direction from the government, and said the government responds when it receives reports of abuse.

In terms of the program, of course, if and when there are abuses we act clearly and quickly, Kenney told the House. If we see any distortion of the labour market we are going to address that.

Kenney noted that reforms were introduced to the program last year, which led to a significant drop in applications. He will unveil further changes in the coming weeks to ensure Canadians always and everywhere get the first crack at available jobs and that the program is only used as a limited and last resort by employers.

Go here to read the rest:
Liberals demand feds call on Auditor General to probe foreign workers program

America Rising PAC ED Tim Miller Discusses Bloomberg Hurting Democrats in 2014 – Video


America Rising PAC ED Tim Miller Discusses Bloomberg Hurting Democrats in 2014
Tim Miller On Fox News, April 26, 2014.

By: America Rising PAC

Read more:
America Rising PAC ED Tim Miller Discusses Bloomberg Hurting Democrats in 2014 - Video

Analysis: Liberal Democrats’ Record in the Coalition Government. 18.09.13 – Video


Analysis: Liberal Democrats #39; Record in the Coalition Government. 18.09.13
In this episode ofr Analysis, John discusses the Liberal Democrats Party #39;s record as part of the ruling Coalition government. The following topics made uip the debate: What has been the coalition...

By:

Excerpt from:
Analysis: Liberal Democrats' Record in the Coalition Government. 18.09.13 - Video

Democrats Pin Hopes on Ousting GOP Governors

Democrats know theyre not likely to win back the House this fall. They are steeling themselves for a loss of Senate seats while hoping to hang on to a majority.

But in governors races, Democrats are on offense believing theyll be in better shape come January than they are now.

Just like Democrats picked up a large number of Senate seats in 2008 that the party has to defend this year, Republicans won a large number of governors races during the big tea party wave of 2010. This year, the GOP has to defend those seats, including a number in swing states and Democratic-leaning states.

So, Democrats are hoping to defeat Republican Gov. Paul LePage, who won office in Maine with a mere 38% of the vote four years ago, thanks largely to an independent candidate who splintered the vote.

Mr. LePage is at the top of both parties lists of most-endangered GOP governors, along with Govs. Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania and Rick Scott of Florida. Polling suggests that Messrs. Corbett and Scott face tough re-election races, and Democrats are likely to aim resources at both states.

The Democrats second tier of targets includes a trio of Midwestern governors Wisconsins Scott Walker, Michigans Rick Snyder and Ohios John Kasich each of whom has enacted Republican policies in states that twice voted for Barack Obama.

Democrats are also, for now at least, making longshot efforts in Georgia, South Carolina, Kansas and Arizona. Overall, Republicans now control 29 of 50 governors mansions.

The Journals Peter Nicholas writes today about Wisconsin and former bicycle-company executive Mary Burkes campaign to oust Gov. Mr. Walker. Ms. Burkes effort is squarely in the second tier of Democratic gubernatorial races, but she is symbolic of this years Democratic hopes.

The Democrats optimism is rooted in the fact that Mr. Obama won Wisconsin and the other five states where they are fighting hardest in 2012 by highlighting GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romneys views on womens health issues, such as his pledge to defund Planned Parenthood. Messrs. Walker and Kasich, Democrats argue, have already implemented essentially what Romney said he would do during the last campaigns in those states.

Ms. Burke, as Mr. Nicholas writes, is steering clear of the toxic labor wars that marked Mr. Walkers first term. Instead she is trying to define herself as a pro-business Democrat while attacking Mr. Walker on social issues and his failure to create the 250,000 jobs he promised when first running for governor four years ago. Mr. Walker responds that the unemployment rate has fallen in Wisconsin during his tenure and that the vast majority of people in the state are now better off.

Originally posted here:
Democrats Pin Hopes on Ousting GOP Governors