Archive for June, 2017

Russians Insist On New Pipeline To Bypass Ukraine, And Europeans Fine With It – Forbes


Forbes
Russians Insist On New Pipeline To Bypass Ukraine, And Europeans Fine With It
Forbes
The Ukrainians hate this thing. European politicians and energy executives don't seem the least bit worried about it. "If this Nord Stream 2 pipeline is built, it is bad for Ukraine. Bad for Naftogaz. Russia will bypass us in the future if this gets ...

Read the rest here:
Russians Insist On New Pipeline To Bypass Ukraine, And Europeans Fine With It - Forbes

Battle at Gas Champion Exposes Struggle to Rebuild Ukraine – Bloomberg

Investors wanting to take the temperature of Ukraines reform drive could do worse than look in on state-run energy firm Naftogaz, where a battle for control underscores the obstacles hampering wider efforts to clean up the ex-communist economy.

The companys fortunes were improving after Prime Minister Volodymyr Hroismans government eliminated crippling price subsidies and a newly installed management team boosted financial performance. But recent attempts to instill stricter corporate governance have met resistance from officials desperate to maintain access to the purse strings. A feud with foreign creditors has ensued. Who wins will reveal a lot about the nations future.

The most important business stories of the day.

Get Bloomberg's daily newsletter.

Naftogaz has long been a bellwether for Ukraines political and economic trajectory. Under ousted pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych, it embodied all the former Soviet republics ills, from inefficiency to cronyism and corruption. Three years after the countrys second pro-European revolution in a decade, it tells a story of successful reforms that could yet be squandered. At stake are billions of dollars in Western financing and a strategy for economic revival that hinges on luring back investment, even as a Russian-backed conflict simmers in the nations east.

Theres pushback -- it takes a lot of energy and a lot of determination from Naftogazs management and international financial organizations to continue pushing forward, said Francis Malige, managing director of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, which has lent Naftogaz $300 million. This is a flagship reform. Its on everyones radar.

Post-revolution trouble at Naftogaz emerged in 2016, when the government unexpectedly sought direct control of transportation unit UkrTransGaz. The London-based EBRD and the World Bank said the step violated pledges to separate the production, delivery and sale of gas, jeopardizing $800 million of loans. The cabinet backed down.

So-called unbundling will now begin this year. Naftogaz signed an agreement with PwC Polska Sp. z.o.o on Monday to help separate its gas-transportation business and meet European Union rules.

The latest storm is around Naftogazs independent supervisory board, created to absorb powers frommanagement and the government to bolster corporate governance. Board members positions remain subject to annual review, while the mostly foreign directors are threatening to quit after having been asked to submit asset declarations -- a tool designed to root out corruption among Ukrainian officials.

The government says it will resolve the issues and insists it wants state-run companies to use European best practices. For the first time during Ukraines independence years, the management of public companies having strategic importance will be distanced at most from political influence, Deputy Premier Volodymyr Kistion said.

Naftogazs management, which strengthened its position with a vital court win last month against Russias Gazprom PJSC, accuses the authorities of contradictingcorporate-governance recommendations issued by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Whilesupervisory board Chairman Paul Warwick sees appetite for reforms, he doesnt expect vested interests to surrender easily.

You can describe it as two steps forward, two steps back and then one step forward, he said in a phone interview. We should double our efforts to put in place those actions as quickly as possible.

International lenders arent happy. EBRD President Suma Chakrabartiwarnedthe governmentin April that one of the most meaningful reforms undertaken under your leadership is at risk of collapsing.

Officials have long been accused of using Naftogaz for personal enrichment, inserting middlemen into energy deals and other procurement to siphon off cash. A reformist minister quit last year, saying a ruling-party lawmaker tried to install an ally to oversee state enterprises.Transparency International ranksUkraine 131st-worst of 176 countries for corruption.

Ukraine won praise for raising energy prices to market level in 2016, exceeding International Monetary Fund loan conditions aimed at shoring up public finances. While it could work faster to overhaul its institutions and economy, thecommunist legacy remains an impediment, according to EU Enlargement Commissioner Johannes Hahn.

In general, Im satisfied with the reform efforts, he said this month.

There have been successes beyond energy. The central bank shut down more than 80 lenders that largely served the interests of their oligarch owners, culminating withlast years nationalization of the countrys biggest. Butanti-graft opposition remains among officials.

The team running Naftogaz has done things no one three years ago would have ever dreamed possible, Nick Piazza, chief executive officer of investment bank SP Advisors in Kiev, said by email. There are elements constantly putting up roadblocks to their efforts.

See the original post:
Battle at Gas Champion Exposes Struggle to Rebuild Ukraine - Bloomberg

Ukraine hails visa-free EU travel as a historic step away from Russia – Irish Times

Mon, Jun 12, 2017, 14:00 Updated: Mon, Jun 12, 2017, 15:34

Ukraines president Petro Poroshenko and EU ambassador to Ukraine Hugues Mingarelli start a symbolic visa-free timer at a ceremony marking the launch of a visa-free regime with the EU in Kiev on Saturday. Photograph: Sergei Chuzavkov/AP

Ukraine has hailed the launch of visa-free access to most of the European Union for its citizens as a major step away from Russia, as politicians in Kiev discuss how to tighten border controls with its huge eastern neighbour.

Ukrainian leaders called the abolition of visa restrictions a tangible result of the countrys pivot to the west following a 2014 revolution that drew fierce retaliation from Russia, which subsequently annexed Crimea and fomented a separatist conflict in eastern Ukraine that has killed about 10,000 people.

Border officials said on Monday that more than 2,000 Ukrainians had so far crossed into EU states using just a biometric passport without a visa since the new rules came into force on Saturday, and that only a handful of people had been refused entry due to previous travel violations.

Hugues Mingarelli, the head of the EU delegation in Kiev, said we are very pleased that as many Ukrainian citizens as possible can visit EU member states. Ukrainian citizens do not represent a threat to the EU. They bring opportunities and hope for the EU.

Ukrainians with biometric passports now have the right to travel visa-free to but not to work in the so-called Schengen area, which comprises 26 states stretching from Finland to Portugal but does not include Ireland or the UK.

At weekend celebrations to mark the changes, Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko told a crowd in Kiev that the move signifies our states final break from the Russian empire, and the Ukrainian democratic world from the authoritarian Russian world.

Many Ukrainians are dissatisfied with the pace of reform, and accuse the billionaire Mr Poroshenko and allies of maintaining a corrupt and opaque system based on shadowy backroom deals between wealthy oligarchs and their cronies.

The EU and United States continue to supply vital financial and diplomatic support to Ukraine, however, and several western military powers provide training and defensive weapons for armed forces that suffer almost daily losses in the east.

Federica Mogherini, the EUs foreign policy chief, said the visa liberalisation would bring down a barrier between the people of Ukraine and the people of the European Union . . . making a difference to our citizens everyday life.

Ukrainian foreign minister Pavlo Klimkin said measures were being taken to ensure people who were part of the Russian-backed separatist militia that control parts of two eastern regions were not allowed to enter the EU.

Amid growing debate on whether Ukraine should tighten entry rules for Russians, Mr Klimkin said he favoured a system under which Russian visitors would file information online about planned visits to Ukraine.

Moscow could be expected to respond in kind to any such changes, potentially causing problems for millions of Ukrainians living in Russia.

More here:
Ukraine hails visa-free EU travel as a historic step away from Russia - Irish Times

Sen. McCain says U.S. leadership was better under Obama

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. speaks on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. on Thu., Jan. 12, 2017, during the committee's confirmation hearing for Defense Secretary-designate James Mattis.

AP

Sen. John McCain of Arizona has said that U.S. leadership was better under President Barack Obama than his successor, President Trump, The Guardian reported Sunday.

The Republican leader, who has never shied away from criticizing Mr. Trump, was responding to a question asking if America's stance on the global stage was better during the Obama administration.

"As far as American leadership is concerned, yes," McCain responded.

McCain, the chairman on the Senate Armed Services Committee, lost to Obama in the 2008 presidential election and was highly critical of his administration's foreign policy agenda.

Play Video

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, says it's time for the President to lay off tweeting. Graham adds, "You're your own worst enemy, Mr. Presi...

The U.K. newspaper described the 80-year-old senator as "visibly irked" when he was asked about Mr. Trump'stweets criticizing London Mayor Sadiq Khan, which came shortly after a terror attack that left eight dead and dozens injured.

"What do you think the message is? The message is that America doesn't want to lead," McCain said. "They are not sure of American leadership, whether it be in Siberia or whether it be in Antarctica."

In his tweets aimed at London's mayor, Mr. Trump said that Khan offered a "pathetic excuse" and "had to think fast on his 'no reason to be alarmed' statement." But the president mischaracterized Kahn's statement as he was referring to the city's increased police presence -- not about the terror attack itself.

In an interview with CBS News' "Face the Nation,"Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham said the president's tweets have done more harm than good.

"There's a lynch mob mentality about the Trump administration in the press, but these tweets that he does feeds that lynch mob," Graham said. "You're your own worst enemy here, Mr. President. Knock it off."

2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Continue reading here:
Sen. McCain says U.S. leadership was better under Obama

Obama guilty of real Hillary Clinton obstruction, Fmr. US AG …

Former US Attorney General Michael Mukasey says President Obama may be guilty of obstruction of justice in the investigation into Hillary Clinton's email.

President Obamas statement that he thought she shouldnt be charged because she didnt intend to violate the law is the real Clinton obstruction because that is a statement by him that this is the way I want that investigation to come out, Mukasey said Tuesday in an interview with FOX Business Network's Maria Bartiromo. He was introducing an element that was not in the statute to know youre violating the law and he was saying that, that was the way he wanted the investigation to end. Obviously the Justice Department picked up on that.

In his testimony last week, former FBI Director James Comey said Obama Attorney General Loretta Lynch asked him to call the Hillary Clinton probe a matter, not an investigation, but Mukasey said thats not breaking the law.

Thats, I think, not obstruction because shes simply playing the same card the Clinton campaign is playing, Mukasey said.

On Tuesday, President Trump said on Twitter thatLynch committed a crime and gave Hillary Clinton a free pass and protection.

Meanwhile Democratic lawmaker Diane Feinstein said she wanted to open an investigation into Loretta Lynchs statement, but Mukasey said calling it a matter is just the tip of the iceberg.

Continue Reading Below

ADVERTISEMENT

Then youre talking about how come the Justice Department didnt use the Grand Jury. How come they interviewed her at the end andtwo days laterJim Comey came out with a statement, Mukasey said, noting that the Lynch interview was not recorded. This was an un-serious investigation.

See the rest here:
Obama guilty of real Hillary Clinton obstruction, Fmr. US AG ...